1. Lorkency FORTUNÉ
2. Hoates Inson LYRA
3. Jean Wilner LOUIS
4. Jude RAMILUS
This how we have planned our training.
First of all, we have planned our training in communication with the Responsible of team EFL international, we’ve submitted our document and send to ROTARY Club of Hinche as a proposal for discussing about the agreement.
We have discussed about the quantity of trainees and we confirm the numbers like thirty five (35) trainees and four (4) trainers who will have to take part actively during the five days session we have set things up with the restaurant for breakfast, lunch and beverage by taking the proformas.
Thanks to ROTARY for delivering funds until the session is possible, we have established a location contract with the institution’s local (ILC) Innovative Learning Concepts from the beginning day to the ending one, April 1rst to 5th, 2019.
We have specially motivated the English teachers and the other educators around the city and also the suburbs. We, the trainers have discussed about how things must be gone through for the training being a successful one ever and we’ve also fixed a standard for how it will be impacted others (our trainees).
We have confirmed the number of trainees before the week of the training by filling out the forms of confirmation and then, we have put all necessary materials disposable for the training, prepared certificates and printed and copied all necessary documents to share with our thirty five trainees.
We have visited the local and seen if everything is fine there like: the lounge, the bathroom, electric energy, internet, the freeze room for the training and so on. We have discussed about all conditions for renting the local with the responsible.
Why all these? Because we’re eager to see the impacts will be done by the program. How? By our strategies, honesty and love that impose us for it. When? When all of us see thing same way for success and progress. Where? All over the world as long as it’s possible, especially in Haiti.
- Every morning we have created a useful ice breaker to warm us up. That named: “Morning circle” in three parts: Greeting, Sharing and Group Activities. After the morning circle we have breakfast together before continuing according to our agenda. At noon we take lunch. After lunch we have made a new icebreaker, we make summary of the morning session before enchaining the PM session. Then every morning from the second day we have made summary of the previous day. In the last day we have made a general summary from our first day until the fourth one. We finish the session every day with exit ticket (222)
Meeting and greeting from coming in the session’s local.
We have made a circle to start with the greeting part: Butterfly. Everyone has moved like a butterfly to greet others a way to warm them up that give them motivation to remove stress that is inside of them and let them have ease to start our first day like families. They were so happy, and then, we enchain with the sharing part: Directed Sharing. We have asked them about their emotion by receiving invitation to take part in the training? Lots of expressions from them drive us happy to continue with the group activities part: Knowing each of us well. We start telling names of each of us from the first person to the last one, everyone says the names that come before until himself, that helps getting to know each other.
- After this amazing morning circle, time for breakfast was up for all of us.
Acquaintances between trainers and trainees, between trainees and trainees.
- Presentation of team EFL.
- We have made the History of team EFL for all the trainees as a joint project between the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey (MIIS) and the ministry of education, Central Plateau, Haiti, St André school in Hinche, St. Dunstan’s church of Carmel valley, and Rotary the Global Grant Project.
- Explanation of the main GOAL of team EFL Haiti as to enhance the design and delivery of English language instruction to students in Haiti and so on.
- Showing and explain the three OBJECTIVES of team EFL, Haiti.
- We’ve listened to their questions after giving the history of all what we have known about team EFL in general (by using projector to show and explain and let them observe everything on eyes).
- We’ve discussed about the pedagogical contract, let everyone chooses what will need to be respected and what we have to do or don’t do during the five days in classroom or outside the classroom (write on flip chap with marker).
- We’ve presented the content like all what we are going to talk about and teach in the following days as instructions in our agenda.
- After all these, time for lunch is up.
- Ice breaker, require respect for others opinions.
- Summary of the morning session, we let them remind what is team EFL, its objectives and give them additional details.
- CLT part 1. Communicative Language Teaching. We have made brainstorming (We let the trainees think themselves about Communicative Language Teaching before having feedback.
- Pause for 10 minutes.
CLT part 2. We let them discuss about the two key words of CLT like Communication / Communicative and we bring feedback with proctor and give additional explanations to them.
- 222. Let them express themselves to say what is fine or not in their own questions in the sheet.
- Close for next day of the session.
Tuesday April 2nd, 2019, Morning Session.
- Ice breaker.
- Summary of what we have seen in the previous day. We let the trainees make the summary themselves and bring feedback to refresh their mind of what they have learned.
- CLT part 3. We let the trainees discuss about Language, Written and Oral language, explanation of interaction, how to create interaction with others with no repetition, we show everything on projector and bring feedback.
- We have given a list of sentences where they will say which of them are communicative or not communicative according to their understanding about Communication / Communicative and we share the sheet with them and listen to justify their comprehension. We have explained CLT as a teaching tool that facilitates interaction and the way using to teach, communicate. We let them discussed and asked more questions about CLT of what communication is and what is communicative.
- Ten minutes pause to stretch and so on.
- CBI/ Content Based Instruction part 1.
First we let them discuss their understanding (brainstorming) about Content Based Instruction we have listened to them, we notice what is right and what is wrong and correct them, before reading with them the key points of CBI.
- Explanations of the principal ideas of CBI, That intrinsic motivation increases when languages learners are immerse in authentic content.
- Lunch time.
- Ice breaker
- Summary: Is the trainees work first and we bring feedback of our previous work to make them better clear about everything.
CBI part 2.
- Clear explanations of the benefits of CBI, which put the learners in reality using authentic content, we have also explained what is authentic content.
- Motivation; that will motivate the learners to be able to participate and make discussions outside of establishment.
Explanations of the two parts of CBI like:
- Content: The subjects we have to teach for example. History, Sciences, Math and so on.
- Language: Specifically if teaching languages what language do we use, like reading, writing, listening and speaking by using grammar, vocabularies to make the lesson efficient to their learners.
Pause (10 minutes) stretch and so on.
Goals Settings part 1.
After the explanations of the Concept the trainees thinking about Goals settings together, we bring feedback and wait for the next day of session.
- 222, close for next day of session.
Wednesday April 3rd, 2019, Morning Session.
- Ice breaker
We let the trainees make the summary themselves about the previous day and we put them clear of the missing things and we’re going forward.
Goals Settings part 2.
The trainees are discussing about their lessons planning.
We give them access to observe the great lesson plan on projector, the general Objectives, Unit goals and theme.
We also let them discussing about DEWEY quote like: “Every lesson should be a response’’ a way to let them discover the problems of the instructions’ transmission and solve them by their proper strategies and living the impacts doing because of the lesson and that is actually the response from their lesson.
Pause (10 minutes)
Bloom’s taxonomy of learning domains part1.
- Historicity of bloom’s taxonomy, the year of creation and the creator.
- Has created in order to promote the higher forms of thinking in education.
- Introduction and division of the three learning domains of bloom’s taxonomy.
- Lunch time.
- Summary, doing by the trainees and we have brought them feedback for more confirmation of their comprehension and stability.
Bloom’s taxonomy part 2.
- Explanations of the three types of learning like.
- Cognitive: Mental skills (knowledge)
- Affective: Growth and feelings or emotional areas (attitude).
- Psychomotor: Manual or physical skills.
Pause (10 minutes)
SWBAT part1. (Student Will Be Able To) We have explained to them that after each lesson they must have something in mind that they want their learners to know after the lesson by that they have to fix their objectives.
- We’ve explained it like the objectives that they have to fix like what the student will be able to do after the lesson.
- The elements they will have to focus on in the lesson.
- The provision that they will have to deal in a way to be more explicit.
- Grammar, vocabulary and so on.
- A kind of activity to fix their objective
- Objective for each grammar point and vocabularies.
- In fact we have explained the language objectives like how they will do or manner they will achieve their work from the content objectives above.
- 222, close for the next day of the session.
Thursday, April 4th, 2019. Morning Session.
SWBAT part 2.
- Ice breaker.
The trainees discuss together about the previous day of session and explain us about their interest in SWBAT we trainers correct and add what they miss and we’re going forward.
- We have divided them into group (4 groups) to fix some Content objectives and Language objectives for their lesson and each group chooses a subject to fix the objectives and start working, discussing for realization.
- One person in each group was represented and explains how they’ve fixed the Content objectives and the language objectives according to their subject.
That was so wonderful to see their understanding about the instructions exactly what we’ve expected from them (understanding, put in real life teaching and keep impacting others by their knowledge)
- We trainers appreciate, encourage and bring necessary feedback to some of them.
SWBAT part 3.
- We start with icebreaker like inspiration and breathing with hands on head. See pictures
- We let them refresh their mind for every part of the SWBAT and we check others among who are not perfectly clear and give additional explanation for them.
- We show one more time everything about SWBAT on big screen with projector.
- 222 and close for the next and last day of the session.
Friday April 5th, 2019. Morning session.
A last icebreaker to mark our lives like all of us will be separated by flesh, but we thought that by the spirit of the continuation and impactions of the program we will be still connected each other , because the week of session is done. Everyone was expressing their feeling of separation and also express how they’ve been feeling during the four previous days. They were talking about what the entire session means for them and the way they will put it on use for everyday life as teachers who are currently teaching languages and other subjects. See videos
- A general summary from the first day session, we let them remember everything that has done during that while and we show them on projector like a general review.
In addition, Goals, for the lesson planning that is not in our agenda as you can observe above, but was explaining quiet well to our trainees and they have divided by group and each group has chosen a Theme to develop their lesson, we have shown them the process on projector and we have explained the four skills that they have to master well for the best result of their lesson like:
Meta-cognitive. We have explained it like an ability of reflection for the learners a way to put them a situation to find understanding by themselves about a knowledge that is already exist and they discover and even going farther of their thought, this is where the brainstorming has applied efficiently.
Cognitive: We have explained it to them like the knowledge that they have to convince according to their understanding and what they are going to use face more instructions in life it’s exactly what stay for them.
Affective: We have explained them this part like a concept to put the learners in a situation to feel good while seeing how worth is what they have known, remind them about the need of what they have known, the reason why it’s good for them to apply that in life. In fact, let them be affected by the importance of what they have learned in the lesson.
Performative: That is exactly what the teachers have to expect from their learners. Produce actions and make their knowledge practicable in their life. This is how we were explaining these four concepts in a lesson plan.
We have used our rubrics a way to evaluate our trainees to find out if everything is fine with them, because we’re so care about the result of our training. We can’t wait to see the impacts will be done by our trainees in the city and in the suburbs.
We have used the rubric about washing hands for presentation of each group and each one has chosen a different SWBAT to develop.
- They named their group like: GROUP A, GROUP B, GROUP C and GROUP D.
- Each group chooses a theme for their lesson
- They have fixed their content objectives and their Language objectives.
- Three people in each group come for presentation of their work. One of them presents the work and the two ones hold the sheet for him to explain better.
- We have brought them feedback and additional explanations.
- Ten minutes pause to stretch and breath.
- Summary: last summary for the morning session by the trainees and we have brought feedback for all of them and we have asked if everything is fine for them until now.
- We let them express themselves and they have told us what’s going on and that was so great to hear from them.
- We have fixed our JOEPARDY GAME on these following themes below. We have divided them into groups each group chooses a theme to answer question and they choose the quantity of point they want to play on.
Team EFL Haiti
Mix of questions
All these are to observe their strongest trait and their weakest trait during the training and also where they were clear or not clear about remembering the facts.
The JOEPARDY game was one the most important parts in the session that I have ever enjoyed in before, it’s a great challenge between trainees and trainees each group would like to win and have their trophy ( when I say trophy, it’s just a way to describe their motivation and show how they are eager to win the game)
We all were so exciting to see the way they acted and the heat that was moving around the four corners from them!
Finally one group has wined anyway that is what they were waiting for and that happened.
After everything we have done with, it was time to give certification to every trainee as a proof that they have attended training from team EFL, Haiti from April 1-5, 2019. We have presented that last part of the session in slide show with projector, each name comes one after another; we took pictures and give the certificate.
- The last lunch time
- 222, Close.
If ever I will have the opportunity to make one more session, I would like to have more time to plan it and, I would also like my session date will be respected once my document has been submitted as a proposal, because finding teachers for a session takes time specially when the teachers are working, it’s an opportunity for them to take part they have to be free from work. We always fix the session date according to the availability of the teachers in the region.
One more time, Thanks to MIIS and thanks to Rotary!
Lorkency FORTUNÉ (Lorky).